Back in 2014, I designed this site in the open. Warts and all, every mistake was live the day I made them. From search forms without styles to watercolour experiments that didn’t pan out, it was a truly iterative process of designing in the open and I loved every messy minute of it.
What I didn’t do, however, was document anything. None of my thoughts, decisions or purposeful omissions was written down.
If you asked me why I did anything now, I wouldn’t remember it anymore.
So that’s what I’m doing differently this time.
Or in the words of my friend Tatiana, “Because without documentation, what even the fuck am I doing? “
Starting today, entries related to the redesign will begin with “Reboot:” to distinguish them from the rest of my journal. This entry will act as a table of contents.
Expect entries to be focussed on a single problem as much as possible and with little copy-editing.
Table of contents
- Be the Change
- Reboot: Taking Stock
- Reboot: Raw Data I
- Reboot: ‘Business’ Goals
- Reboot: Multitudes
- Reboot: Information Architecture
- Reboot: Feed the Machine
- Reboot: The Design Process
- Reboot: Minimum Viable Experience
- Reboot: Cleaning the Meta Stuff
- Reboot: New Content Outline for Entries
- Reboot: Incident Report
- Reboot: Intention and Strategy, Part I
- Reboot: Intention and Strategy, Part II
- Reboot: Performance Budget
- Reboot: Raw Data II
- Reboot: Accessibility Strategy
- Reboot: Just My Type
- Reboot: The Other Type
- Reboot: Type Scale-ish
- Reboot: Type Scale, No Really
- Reboot: The Terms of My Distractions
- Reboot: Deprecation Notice
- Reboot: Spacing and Layouts
- Reboot: Incident Report II
- Reboot: Too Far Down the CRUD Hole